Portuguese Economics 2017/2018
- 5 ECTS
- Taught in Portuguese
- Both continuous and final Assessment
- relevant skillset
After the completion of this course the student should be able to ...
1. Understand and analyze the evolution of the Portuguese economy, particularly since the beginning of the 20 th century to the present, framing it in the context of internal political options and the changes taking place at international level;
2. Identify and use currently sources from national and international statistical information related to the Portuguese economy;
3. Participate in working groups, institutional and enterprise level, geared to the development of diagnostic and prospective studies, and for the design of strategic business plans.
Face, theoretical and practical, including:
- Presentation and analysis of the different stages of evolution of the Portuguese economy;
- Exploration of macroeconomic and sectoral databases; - Presentation and discussion by students, of structures and summary tables of macroeconomic and sectoral diagnosis;
-'Brainstorming' around current themes of the Portuguese economy, through the selection of interviews, public debates and specialized articles published in the press or presented at conferences.
Body of Work
1. The evolution of the Portuguese economy, from the beginning of the 20 th century. XX to the present: Representation and characterization of the main stages and facts of growth.
2. The Portuguese economy, from the beginning of the 20 th century to the 50s
3. The Portuguese economy, from the '50s until 1974
4. Portugal's accession to the EC and the euro
5. The evolution of the production structure in recent decades
6. The Great Recession 2010-2013
7. Structural reforms and competitiveness
8. Macroeconomic Scenarios for the Portuguese economy
Mateus, A., Economia Portuguesa - Evolução no contexto internacional (1910-2013), 4ª edição edition, Princípia Editora, Lda., 2013
Alves, R. (2017), Portugal: a Paradox in Productivity, GEE Papers nº70, http://www.gee.gov.pt/RePEc/WorkingPapers/GEE_PAPERS_70.pdf
European Commission (2018), Post-Programme Surveillance Report,Portugal, Autumn 2017, Institutional paper 070, https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/economic-and-financial-affairs-publications_en.
Portugal IMF Country Report No.17/279, September, 2017, http://www.imf.org
Presentation of the objectives and evaluation criteria U.C.
The evolution of the Portuguese economy, from the beginning of the 20 th century. to the present: representation and characterization of the main stages and facts of growth.
The Portuguese economy, from the beginning of the 20 th century. to the 50s
Weeks 3 and 4:
The Portuguese economy, from '50s until 1974
Weeks 5 to 7:
Portugal's accession to the EC and the euro
Weeks 8 to 10:
The evolution of the production structure in recent decades The great recession in 2010 - 2013
Weeks 11 to 13:
Presentation of students' reports
Structural reforms and competitiveness of the Portuguese economy
Week 14 and 15:
Macroeconomic scenarios for the Portuguese economy
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The contents cover the study of the different stages of evolution of the Portuguese economy, since the beginning of the 20 th century, taking into account the political choices and the evolution of the international environment, which will allow a better understanding of its determinants and also of the current economic performance (Objective 1).
In order to analyze the evolution of the main macroeconomic aggregates in this period,chronologically aligned, students will have to research and use different sources of statistical information, which will be useful for future works in the field of Portuguese economy(Objective 2).
Finally, the analysis of the evolution of the productive structure in the last decades and the presentation of the so-called structural reforms and scenarios for the Portuguese economy, will improve the competences for future studies to support the formalization of business and sectoral strategies (Objective 3).
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The presentation and analysis of the different stages of the evolution of the Portuguese economy, supported by the presentation of videos with interviews and thematic reports, presentation of synthetic frameworks of macroeconomic diagnostics and questions for debate in classrooms, will promote the critical analysis of economic policy options and changes at national and international levels (Objective 1);
The exploration of national and international macroeconomic and sectoral databases, as well as the development of quantitative analyzes in spreadsheets, will allow selective identification and use of the most relevant sources of statistical information and the construction of adequate indicators for the study of the Portuguese economy (Objective 2);
Finally, the elaboration and presentation by the students of a team work of sectoral diagnosis duly updated and comprising several important fields of the national and regional economy, besides stimulating the critical analysis through the group dynamics, will allow to develop skills for the elaboration of diagnoses, in the context of the global and sectoral external environment, which are very usefulls for the formalization of objectives and for the business strategic management (Objective 3).
|relevant generic skill||improved?||assessed?|
|Achieving practical application of theoretical knowledge||Yes||Yes|
|Analytical and synthetic skills||Yes||Yes|
|Event organization, planning and management|
|Foreign language proficiency|
|Problem Analysis and Assessment||Yes||Yes|
|Written and verbal communications skills||Yes||Yes|