Microeconomic Analysis of Markets 2017/2018
- 6 ECTS
- Taught in Portuguese
- Both continuous and final Assessment
- relevant skillset
In a perspective of continuity of microeconomics, this course aims to deepen the concepts and tools of microeconomics and apply them to the explanation of new realities. After concluding this course students will be able to: understand how entrepreneurs move in the real economic contexto and (ii) analyze the mode of operation of a unit of production, its cost structure and functioning of the main structures in which they are contextualized.
Knowledge of microeconomics and basic mathematics
The methodology adopted is the type expositive-active, using simultaneously the means, expository and interrogative. During classes and in order to stimulate the thinking of students, teachers use teaching techniques such as oral communication, demonstration, raising questions and actual and real case studies. Additionally, exercises will be solved applying the knowledge transmitted
Mixed assessment: 2 tests with a weight of 50%.
Body of Work
I. Theory of the firm. Long run process.
1.1. Production Function.
1.2. marginal production
1.3. marginal rate of technical substitution;
1.4. Cost equation.
1.5 Optimal production decision.
1.6. Changes in optimal production decision.
II. Cost Analysis
2.1 Short run process.
2.2 Long term process.
2.3 Costs functions
III. Market Structure and Policy.
3.1. Perfect Competition.
3.3. Monopolistic Competition.
- Frank, R. H. (2013) - Microeconomic and Behaviour - McGraw Hill, 8ª ed.;
- Mankiw, G. (2012) - Principles of Economics, 6th ed., Dryden Press;
- Pinho, Micaela (2016) - Microeconomia: Teoria e Prática Simplificada 3ªed. Editora Sílabo. Lisboa;
- Samuelson, P. e Nordhaus,W.D. (2012) - Economia, 18ªed. - McGraw-Hill Education;
- Nicholson,W.; Synder, C. (2011) – Microeconomic Theory – Basic Principles and Extensions, 11ªed. – Dryden Press;
- Varian, H. (2014) – Intermediate Microeconomics: a modern approach, 9th ed. W.W. Norton & Company.
- Mateus, A.; Mateus, M. (2010) – Microeconomia e Estudos de Casos – volime 1 – Editorial Verbo;
- Pinho, Micaela e outros (2016) Economia Industrial: Teoria e Exercícios Práticos. Editora Sílabo. Lisboa.
1-5 Chapter I. Theory of the firm- long term process.
6 - 10 Chapter II. Cost Analysis in the short and long run
11 - 15 Chapter III. Market structures
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
Program content 1 aims to achieve the first defined objective. Program content 1, 2 and 3 are intended to achieve the second defined objective.
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The expository methodology contributes to achieving the two defined objectives. The methodology of the interrogative type and the resolution of exercises reinforce the two objectives defined.
|relevant generic skill||improved?||assessed?|
|Achieving practical application of theoretical knowledge||Yes||Yes|
|Adapting to new situations||Yes||Yes|
|Analytical and synthetic skills||Yes||Yes|
|Event organization, planning and management||Yes||Yes|
|Problem Analysis and Assessment||Yes||Yes|
|Written and verbal communications skills||Yes||Yes|