Economics and Management Analysis Techniques 2017/2018
- 4 ECTS
- Taught in Portuguese
- Continuous Assessment
- relevant skillset
Students should be able to develop a descriptive analysis of the statistical data collected doing their processing and interpreting its meaning. Should still be able to apply the rules of financial mathematics in order to determine the final capital, nominal and effective interest rates, the terms of an annuity.
Basic knowledge of descriptive statistics
A methodology characterized by the coexistence of the exhibition model with interactive model will-take-it. The active participation of students in classes shall be encouraged-.
As a strategy for achieving the objectives of the discipline, practical exercises with presentation and correction in class itself-will be promoted.
Body of Work
1. Basics of Financial Mathematics
1.1. General Framework
1.2. Capital, Time and Interest. Financial Operations
2. Capitalization and Discount Regimes
2.1. Regime of Simple Interest
2.2. Regime Said Simple
2.3. Regime of Compound Interest
3. Asynchrony between Capitalization and Interest Rate
3.1. Equivalent and Proportional Rates
3.2. Effective and Nominal Rates
4.1. Introductory Concepts: Definition of rent; Moments of a rent, Classification of rents 4.2. A value of a rent with any terms: Constant Terms
1. Basics of Descriptive Statistics
1.1. Measures of Concentration
2. Indexes Numbers
2.1. Simple indices
2.2. Indexes aggregates or Compounds
2.2.1. Laspeyres index
2.2.2. Paasche index
2.2.3. Deflation Time Series
184.108.40.206. Real / Nominal Values
3. Application of Excel
Parte I :
- Laureano, R., Santos, L., (2011. Fundamentos do Cálculo Financeiro, Edições Sílabo, Lisboa.
- Matias, Rogério (2009), Cálculo Financeiro- Teoria e Prática, Escolar Editora, Lisboa.
Lisboa, J., Augusto, M., (2008. Cálculo Financeiro. Vida Económica, Porto.
- Quelhas, A.; Correia, F. (2017). Manual de Matemática Financeira. Edições Almedina, Coimbra.
Parte II :
- Santos, C., (2010). Estatística descritiva, Edições Sílabo, Lisboa.
- Moreira, A., Macedo, P., Costa, M., Moutinho, V., (2011). Exercícios de Estatística com Recurso ao SPSS, Edições Sílabo, Lisboa.
- Reis, E. (2008). Estatística Descritiva, Edições Sílabo, Lisboa.
- Mateus, A. (1999), Cálculo Financeiro, 5a ed., Edições Sílabo, Lisboa
- B.Murteira, Análise Exploratória de Dados- Estatística Descritiva, McGraw-Hill, Lisboa, 1993
- Newbold, P., Carlson,W., Thorne, B. (2003), Statistics for Business and Economics, Prentice-Hall- Pearson Education (International Edition)
- Welcome week
- Basics of Financial Mathematics
- Capitalization and Discount Schemes (introduction)
- Compound Interest Scheme
- "Mixed" Regime
- Asynchronism between Capitalization and Interest Rate
- Resolution of practical exercises
- Compound interest Rents
- Accumulation Rents
- Realization of the 1st test
- Introduction to Descriptive Statistics:
- Measures of Concentration
- Measures of Concentration
- Index Numbers:
Simple index, aggregates or Compound index
- Deflation Time Series
- Application of SPSS
- Practical exercises
Demonstration of the syllabus coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
The contents are consistent with the goals to be achieved. Thus, for the purpose of being able to develop a descriptive analysis of the statistical data collected by treating them and interpreting their meaning, are studied and conducted practical exercises on the basic concepts and measures of descriptive statistics and index numbers. As for the goal of getting to apply the rules of financial mathematics with the goal of determining the final capital, interest, effective and nominal rates and the terms of an annuity, are studied and made practical exercises about the concepts of financial mathematics on schemes and capitalization and discount
Demonstration of the teaching methodologies coherence with the curricular unit's objectives
For all learning objectives the expository method with brainstorming and reasoned opinion expression is used. Through the use of a methodology exhibition, an interactive model and encourage the participation of students aims to operationalize concepts and knowledge of the basic concepts of financial mathematics and capitalization and discount schemes. Students are encouraged to develop a permanent research activity, develop skills within the asynchrony of capitalization and interest rate, particularly in the area of understanding the aspects of equal and proportional rates of nominal and effective rates and rents. Through brainstorming and permanent resolution of problems, we aim to understand the index numbers and to assess the importance of their knowledge.
|relevant generic skill||improved?||assessed?|
|Achieving practical application of theoretical knowledge||Yes||Yes|
|Commitment to effectiveness||Yes||Yes|
|Information and learning management|
|IT and technology proficiency||Yes|
|Problem Analysis and Assessment||Yes||Yes|
|Relating to others||Yes|